Renovation/Remodel -- Owner-Occupied, Single-Family Residence
- An asbestos survey is required prior to performing renovation/remodel activities.
- If you're not doing the renovation work yourself, then you must hire a AHERA certified building inspector to conduct the asbestos survey. Check the phone book under "asbestos abatement/consulting/testing."
- If you are doing the renovation/remodel work yourself, then you may perform the survey yourself. Assistance documents are available, click here.
- You should have suspected materials tested for asbestos prior to renovation by submitting a sample for lab analysis. (vermiculite insulation is an exception).
- Labs are listed in the yellow pages under "Asbestos--Consulting and Testing." Ask a laboratory technician to instruct you how to properly obtain a sample.
How do I determine if a suspect material contains asbestos?
You must have it tested by a laboratory. Local labs charge around $25 per sample. You can also send your sample to an accredited lab, with prices varying between $6 - $25, depending upon the turnaround time. A listing of accredited laboratories can be found at http://ts.nist.gov/Standards/scopes/plmtm.htm
What to do if it IS asbestos. Don't panic. There are options.