Do you heat regularly with a non EPA-certified wood burning stove or fireplace insert, or one that was made prior to 1995?


Do you live within the Smoke Control Zone or within the city limits of Deer Park?

If you answered yes to the above two questions, then you might qualify to save hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a new wood, pellet, or gas freestanding stove or fireplace insert, or a ductless, mini-split-system heat pump. Over 600 Spokane-area residents have utilized this program to upgrade their old wood burning stoves/inserts to cleaner, more efficient devices. The grant ends in June 2019 or until funds remain, which ever is sooner.

The boundaries of the Smoke Control Zone are roughly:

City of Spokane 
North to Owens Road 
Spokane Valley to Idaho border 
South to Gibbs Road 
West to Hayford Road

Click on the map for a larger image.

If you live close to the boundary lines, call us at (509) 477-4727, during normal business hours, and we can assist you by using a more detailed map.

PLEASE NOTE: This program is not retroactive. You must first apply and if you qualify, you'll receive a voucher that you will use as an "instant rebate" (discount) off of the purchase and installation costs of a new device at a participating hearth business. The discount amount is based on the type of device you select for your upgrade: $500 for wood; $750 for pellet and $1,000 for gas or ductless mini-split heat pump.
Apply today!
Still interested? Review the terms of the program, then complete this application form, print it and submit it to Spokane Clean Air with a photo of your currently installed and operational wood burning stove (free standing or inserted into your firebox). Or, the form can be emailed to - be sure to email a photo of your device too.
Why Upgrade?
Old wood stoves are inefficient and can produce a lot of smoke, affecting indoor and outdoor air quality. New devices burn much cleaner and more efficiently. Other benefits of upgrading include:

*Save money on heating
*Protect your family’s health
*Reduce dust and soot in your home
*Help improve the air while improving your home’s heat!

How can I tell if my stove is non-EPA certified or older than 1995?
If your wood stove (free-standing or insert) was manufactured prior to 1993, it probably is not EPA-certified. If it was manufactured in 1993 or later there should be a label on your device indicating EPA certification. This can only be done at the manufacturer level. If there is no label present, the device has not been tested for emissions levels in an approved laboratory setting, and therefore is not EPA-certified. The illustration shows what a label might look like. 

This program is made possible by a grant from the Washington State Department of Ecology.

Here is a pdf of the program flyer.

For more information, call (509) 477-4727, extension 115.

Not sure if you want to stay with wood heat or go with pellet or gas? Watch this 5-minute video:

A Quick Guide on How to Select a New Stove for Home Heat (5 mins) Different fuel choices come with an array of environmental, economical and health considerations. If you are considering a wood stove or fireplace insert for your home, or upgrading your old wood stove to something that heats cleaner and more efficiently, take a few minutes to determine which device and fuel choice best fits your needs.